explore(v.勘探，探測) transmit(v.傳送，傳遞，傳播) resource(n.資源) emerge(v.出現，為···所公認) yield(v.產生，出產，屈從，讓步) pose(v.擺姿勢，導致) assume(v.認為，假定，假設) confidence(n.信任信賴，自信心) inherit(v.沿襲，秉承，繼承) comprehensive(a.綜合的，多方面的)
1. Given the chance to show his ability, he regained confidence and began to succeed in school.
2. It is so difficult to explore the bottom of the ocean because some parts are very deep.
3. It was about 30 seconds before Alex emerged from the water; we were quite scared.
4. We often assume that when other people do the same things as we do, they do them for the same reasons; but this assumption is not always reasonable.
5. There is widespread concern that the rising unemployment may pose a threat to social stability.
6. After a(n) comprehensive physical exam, my doctor said I was in good condition except that my blood pressure was a little high.
7. It is well known that China is a country with rich natural resources and a very big population.
8. Some people believe that the earth can yield enough food to support at least twice its present population.
9. Sam inherited the gift of imagination from his family, but he lacked the driving power to take action.
10. A bee that has found honey is able to transmit to other bees the information they need in order to collect the honey.
attain贏得，獲得，得到 fascinating迷人的，吸引人fulfill履行，執行pursue追求，致力于 available可獲得的可利用的 qualify使合適，合格raise提升，增加 passion強烈的愛好，熱愛 virtually實際上classify分類歸類 acquire獲得，取得，學到 fashionable流行的especially特別的 sample樣品，標本 prosperous繁榮的University students come from different parts of the country with various purposes. However, a closer look at their reasons for studying at the university will enable us to (1)classify them roughly into three groups: those who have a(n) (2)passion for learning, those who wish to (3)attain
a bright future, and those who learn with no definite purpose. Firstly, there are many students who learn simply because they (4)pursue their goal of learning. Some read a wealth of British and American novels because they are keenly interested in literature. Others sit in front of thecomputer screen, working on a new program, (5)virtually day and night, because they find some computer programs (6)fascinating, and they dream of becoming a “Bill Gates” one day. Secondly, there are students who work hard mainly for a better and more (7)prosperous future. It seems that the majority of students fall into this group. After admission to the university, they read books after books to (8)acquire knowledge from all of the resources which are (9)available to them, and finally, to succeed in the future job market. Thirdly, there are still some students who learn without a clear goal. They take courses, finish homework, enjoy life on campus, but don’t want to (10)sample anything new or challenging. They have no idea what they will be doing after college. And they may end up with nothing in their lives.
open the door to 給···以機會 in advance 預先，提前
all at once 同時，一下子 reap the benefits (of) 得享（某事物）的好處make the most of最大限度的利用某物 over time逐漸地，慢慢地get by過活，活的去 stand a chance (of)有（做成某事）的希望remind … of 使某人想起 take pleasure in樂于做某事
1. My family got by on my father’s unemployment benefit after he lost his job.
2. Many subway riders read books or listen to music in order to make the most of their time on the way to work.
3. In order to make sure he would be able to attend the meeting, I called him up two weeks in advance.
4. Experts say our company is amazing in that sales have been increasing steadily over time .
5. In order to reap the benefits of the physical exercise, you have to exercise regularly, and for at least half an hour each time.
6. They all tried to talk all at once, but I couldn’t hear anything they said.
7. Yellow flowers in the field always remind me of my childhood in the countryside.
8. We have been practicing for so long and so hard that our team should stand a chance of winning the game.
9. Research on genes will open the door to exciting new medical treatments.
10. Every one of you has made a contribution and I take pleasure in acknowledging what each of you has done to make this academic convention such a success.
Confucius was a great thinker and educator in Chinese history. He was the founder of Confucianism and was respectfully referred to as an ancient “sage”. His words and life story were recorded in The Analects. An enduring classic of ancient Chinese culture, The Analects has had a great influence on the thinkers, writers, and statesmen that came after Confucius. Without studying this book, one could hardly truly understand the thousands-of-years’ traditional Chinese culture. Much of Confucius’ thought, especially his thought on education, has had a profound influence on Chinese society. In the 21st century, Confucian thought not only retains the attention of the Chinese, but it also wins an increasing attention from the international community.
embarrass（使尷尬，使窘迫）polish（擦光，擦亮，修改，上潤光劑）emotional （情緒上的，情感上的）efficiency（效率，效能）curb（控制。抑制）await （等待）donation（捐助）dump（丟棄，扔掉）stuff（裝滿，填滿）historical 有關歷史的
1. He has a special feeling for the brilliant birds, and each spring he eagerly awaits their return.
2. Thanks to the efficiency of air transport, everyone is free to go anywhere at any time.
3. John believes that the donation of food to the hungry is more helpful than giving money.
4. Mary was a careful speaker; every word seemed to have been polished before it was allowed to escape through her lips.
5. When she heard it was snowing in the city they were going to, she stuffed two more sweaters into her bag.
6. During our stay in Europe we visited many places of historical interest, including several castles.
7. The wedding ceremony of my sister was a very emotional experience for our family.
8. He was embarrassd when he discovered that he didn’t have enough money to pay for the red wine he had ordered.
9. The local government is pressed to find new places to waste. 10. The new system designed to dump harmful emissions (排放物) from factories will be put into use soon.
10. The new system designed to curb harmful emissions (排放物) fromfactories will be put into use soon.
emotional令人動情的，感情脆弱的 romantic浪漫的多情的空想的ridiculous可笑的，荒謬的 overwhelmed淹沒壓倒embarrassment窘迫，難堪 appreciate感激欣賞增值curious好奇的 awkwardness笨拙粗略難為情cultivate耕作種植 reverse反轉顛倒parental父母的親本的 therefore因此，所以reduce減少縮小 beloved被熱愛的，親愛的otherwise否則另外
Parents and teenagers have different or even opposite things to worry about. For example, while a mother might have a hard time understanding why her teenagers’ room is always a(n) (1)embarrassment of dirty stuff, the teenagers are more worried about their next exams and may think it is (2)ridiculous for their mother to insist on keeping a clean room. It is therefore important for you to (3)appreciate the differences and learn to communicate with your teenagers properly. (4)otherwise, your teenagers may say nothing and shut you out of their personal lives. Their refusal to talk with you may even create (5)emotional stress in your life.Learning effective ways to communicate can (6)reverse the situation of a difficult relationship,(7)reduce the stress of your life, and lead to a friendly relationship with your teenagers. First, you should learn to discuss serious problems in daily conversations. So, important topics, such as driving a vehicle and building a(n) (8) romantic relationship, could be dealt with through daily conversations.Second, learn to be an active listener. Many parents are so (9)overwhelmed with their work that they could hardly take some time for their (10)beloved children. Spend your time listening carefully to what your children like to talk about, and make sure your children feel they are being taken seriously. This will increase the chances of good communication.
make it獲得成功，準時到達 with open arms熱烈地，欣然strip off揭開去掉脫掉 keep back抑制，控制，隱瞞free of/from無···拜托了···的 after all畢竟終究straighten up直起身，把···弄整潔 throw away扔掉丟棄1. After 10 years of full-time training, she has finally make it as a professional dancer.
2. After all , what is the point in taking part in the competitive event if the result is only to prove how incompetent you are?
3. Redecorating the house is a challenging task. It’s necessary to strip off the wallpaper first.
4. I never really had any problems with change. On the contrary, I welcomechange with open arms .
5. A lot of what we throw away is made from raw materials which are not renewable.
6. Megan and John realized that their house was too messy for a new baby, so they decided to straighten up their house before the baby was born.
7. Jennifer couldn’t keep back her tears when she saw the sick children at a new blood cancer center in Virginia.
8. We want to give all children a world free of/from violence.
每年農歷（Chinese lunar calendar）八月十五是我國的傳統節日——中秋節（the Mid-Autumn Festival）。這時是一年秋季的中期，所以被稱為中秋。中秋節的一項重要活動是賞月。夜晚，人們賞明月、吃月餅，共慶中秋佳節。中秋節也是家庭團圓的時刻，遠在他鄉的游子，會借此寄托自己對故鄉和親人的思念之情。中秋節的習俗很多，都寄托著人們對美好生活的熱愛和向往。自2008年起，中秋節成為中國的法定節假日。
According to the Chinese lunar calendar, August 15 of every year is a traditional Chinese festival —the Mid-Autumn Festival. This day is the middle of autumn, so it is called Mid-Autumn. One of the important Mid-Autumn Festival activities is to enjoy the moon. On that night, people gather together to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival, looking up at the bright moon and eating moon cakes. The festival is also a time for family reunion. People living far away from home will express their feelings of missing their hometowns and families at this festival. There are many customs to celebrate the festival, all expressing people’s love and hope for a happy life. Since 2008, the Mid-Autumn Festival has become an official national holiday in China.
response反應，響應 transform使改觀，使變形focus焦點重點，集中于··· analyze分析，剖析estimate估計，估算 competitive競爭性強的，有競爭力的compensate補償，彌補 adopt采用采納收養typical典型的有代表的 regulate調整校準調節1. To make our companies competitive in the market, we have to be more creative and productive.
2. People are beginning to realize that to transform nature at will is the biggest mistake that man has ever made.
3. It is difficult to conclude what a(n) typical student does in his spare time because every student has different interests.
4. A month ago I wrote to the store complaining about its bad service, but I haven’t gotten a(n) response yet.5. Some of your suggestions have been adopted , but others have been turned down as they are not workable.
6. All of a sudden, he lost his interest in engineering, and focused his attention on learning a foreign language.
7. If a company decreases health benefits for its employees, they should increase salaries to compensate the workers.
8. I failed to pass the exam although I had worked very hard. I should analyze the causes of my failure.
9. When you do yoga, try to regulate your breathing. Don’t breathe too fast and make sure you breathe only through your nose.
10. It was difficult to estimate how many people had been wounded in the earthquake.
complex復雜的 access享用權，享用機會preferred提出，提升 require要求undergraduate大學生大學的 accountable可解釋的可說明的acquire獲得得到 tranmits傳輸傳送indispensable不可或缺的 creativity創造性，創造力referred提及，針對 seeks 尋找，追求post郵件，張貼，快速行進 connectivity連通性transform改變改觀
There have been increased demands for higher education to provide students with better courses and more opportunities. To deal with this (1) complex issue, colleges and universities are turning to the Internet for quick (2)access to its rich educational resources. Now the Internet has been accepted as the (3)preferred technology to many other methods in colleges and universities. Many teachers now routinely (4)post their teaching materials online. A growing number of schools offer at least some (5)courses over the Internet. There are two different models of making use of the Internet for higher education. The first model (6) undergraduate to improve existing courses by using the Internet. This model provides high-speed Internet (7)connectivity to all students, faculty, and staff. While this model uses the Internet, it doesn’t (8) require many changes, and it keeps most existing institutional structures unchanged. A different, more revolutionary model regards the Internet as (9)indispensable to an important change in higher education, for it is believed that the Internet can (10)transform teacher-centered instruction into student-centered learning. This, as a result, will bring about basic change to our university education.
keep up with保持，同步，和朋友保持聯系 set up建立設立創立fire off開槍，匆忙發出 take the lead樹立榜樣，帶頭add to增加，增添 stand out顯眼，突出，出色
in large part多半，在很大程度上 visit with敘談閑談account for占據，是···的原因，解釋 at a disadvantage處于不利地位的1. I fired off a letter of complaint to the manager of the store as soon as I found they had sold me a pair of mismatched shoes.
2. People browse the Internet, read newspapers and watch TV to keep up with what is happening in the world.
3. The university has set up another large laboratory for students to design more complicated robots.
4. I find it very difficult to account for the fact that two of our best students failed the exam.
5. In the current economy, with unemployment high and competition for jobs fierce, your resume needs to stand out for all the right reasons.
6. She is getting popular since she appeared in a TV interview last month. Her new movie will no doubt add to her growing fame.
7. The developed countries should take the lead in reducing greenhouse gas emissions (排放) and provide support for the developing nations to follow.
8. If your spoken English is not very good, then you may be at a disadvantage when you are looking for a job.
9. Their success was due in large part to their well-conceived (周密策劃的) plan.
10. He has been so occupied with his work these days that he barely has time to visit with his friends.
中國航天業開創于1956年。幾十年來，中國航天事業創造了一個又一個奇跡。1970年，中國成功發射了第一顆人造地球衛星，成為世界上第五個獨立自主研制和發射人造地球衛星的國家。1992年，中國開始實施載人航天飛行工程（manned spaceflight program）。2003年，中國成功發射了”神舟五號”載人飛船，使中國成為第三個發射載人飛船的國家。2007年發射了”嫦娥一號”，即第一顆繞月球飛行（lunar-orbiting）的人造衛星。2013年，第五艘載人飛船”神舟十號”發射成功，為中國空間站的建設打下了基礎。
China’s space industry was launched in 1956. Over the past decades, China’s space industry has created one miracle after another. In 1970 China launched its first man-made earth satellite, ranking China the fifth country in the world to independently develop and launch man-made earth satellites. In 1992 China began to carry out the manned spaceflight program. In 2003 China launched Shenzhou-5, a manned spaceship. The successful launch made China the third country to launch manned spaceships. In 2007 Chang’e-1, the first lunar-orbiting man-made satellite, was sent to space. In 2013 Shenzhou-10, the fifth manned spaceship, was launched successfully, laying the foundation for building the Chinese Space Station.